Sunday, September 24, 2017

We found it...

Months of searching paid off.  We found a 2004 Thor Windsport based on a Ford truck chassis with a V-10 gas engine.  The camper has a roll in shower and wide aisles for easy access.  Best of all it has a lift that stores under the camper, not in the camper.

The access door and Braun UVL lift can be seen in the photo.  It is a huge thing 8.5 feet wide and 36 feet long bumper to bumper.

We drove down to Key Largo Florida on Labor Day weekend to inspect and make the purchase.

A couple of notes here.  A busy holiday weekend in Florida, the last big holiday of summer.  On top of that Hurricane Irma is in the Atlantic and headed for the Florida Keys.

Linda and I visited the Kennedy Space Center while spending the night in Cocoa Beach.  Then we drove down to Key Largo on Labor Day to check out the camper.   I inspected everything.  It was exactly matching the photos and description provided by the owner.  Then the scary part.  I took the Behemoth out onto the public roads and drove it around.  I have driven large trucks, U-Haul trucks, vans and I have even driven an 18 wheeler once.  This thing is huge, it feels like I am driving an apartment building while sitting on the balcony.  I loved it. Once I got the hang of making turns and maneuvers I was set.

We made a deal and the owner threw in a tow-dolly that we planned to purchase.  During my inspection I found some damage on the rear bumper that was not mentioned in the ad.   I was going to overlook the damage because I was already happy about the price we agreed on.  I feel the owner did the right thing as we all should.  On Tuesday the day after labor day we signed the papers.   Linda and I are now the proud owners of a beautiful motor home we can both enjoy.

Next up:  Evacuation from Hurricane Irma

No comments:

Post a Comment

Evacuation from Irma Part 2

We woke up about 6AM at the rest stop.  It wasn't daylight yet and I did not want to overstay our welcome.  I shut down the generator an...