Sunday, September 17, 2017

The search is on

My wife Linda and I have long talked about getting a camper.  I enjoy getting away from home to new places.  Hanging out and relaxing.  My wife was an avid camper when she was younger and often camped out in a pickup truck with a cap on the bed.  Sleeping in sleeping bags on the ground, in a tent or in the back end of the truck.  When I was younger I camped out in tents and carried a ton of gear.  I also enjoyed hiking trails and many of my trips involved hiking trails.

Now we are both much older and my wife is disabled.  It doesn't slow her down much.  We have traveled a great deal since we were married.  We dislike staying in motels because they are so inconsistent.  What one motel advertises as an accessible room bears no resemblance to a room in another motel.  Even in the same chain there is no rhyme or reason.

We decided we need a camper.  It has to be accessible.  It needs to have a roll in or easy access shower.  It needs to have the proper bathroom equipment, accessible sink, toilet of the correct height, etc.  The bedroom should be accessible and my wife needs to ride in a comfortable seat and not sit in her power chair for the whole trip.

So the search began.  We found two websites that advertised campers for sale and especially we could search for accessible campers.   We had a set budget and a loose set of criteria for what we wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Evacuation from Irma Part 2

We woke up about 6AM at the rest stop.  It wasn't daylight yet and I did not want to overstay our welcome.  I shut down the generator an...